PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is going on with the airline business?
Old 28th Aug 2004, 18:43
flaps to 60

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would appear that most airlines and associated industry are all following one principle which is to chase share value.

As long as the investors are happy then most "bad" behavoiur by CEO,COO's etc etc will be tolerated.

Yield is down load factors down a generally unhappy workforce and clientele but who cares as long as share value is up at the expense of customer loyalty and satisfaction. When the Dot Com bubble started to expand i remember thinking it cant last. "It's the business of the future" i was told...It's the way forward. Just like LC and I can see it going the same way

Fester

You mentioned that many are on "ethical" grounds choosing not to fly FR, Im one of them and not just because he is treating his staff and customers badly but because in the real world LC is just a myth as there is always a cost somewhere its just smoke and mirrors and clever accounting.

On the other hand you are also correct in that he has done much for the industry in providing jobs and well paid ones at that but again someone has to pay for it in the long run.

Some of the pay off is what my original post was about. Our industry has been devalued greatly in part by LC inspite of the benefits in increased employment.

Chicken

You are right about the press and their constant onslaught on this fragile industry. The stories have been well documented in these forums and it sickens me to the back teeth when i read yet another "journo gets past security with knife" story. Its time our management pressed charges and had these scum put where they are afraid to pick up a £10 note.

It's also time David Learmonts "break out in emergency" glass box was made shatter proof.

My sadness is in the corners in which we have all hidden in and let the management take the piss with OUR lives in favour of share prices and keeping the big investors happy. Any manager worth his salt will know the obvious and unfortunately they are few and far between.

Its not time to fight but time to start the change where you can say again im proud to be a Pilot, Cabin Crew, Engineer, PSA, Crew Transort Driver, Cleaner, ATC, Despatcher, etc etc etc.

How we do this i dont know but one thing is for sure is that we have to stop bitching and start aiming higher. Any ideas or am i just being nieve. I love my job but i want to feel proud of my industry.

United we stand divided etc etc