PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alitalia down to 20 days, Pilots don't rule out strike action. (merged)
Old 28th Aug 2004, 15:13
Zingaro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fine sentiment Geriatrix but...
Alitalia has been supported by the Italian tax payer for far to long! A very comfortable safety net.More recently by EU loans granted under conditions that the company later failed to meet.
Does living within ones means ring a bell as sane advice for life? Could you honestly say that Alitalia management would have continued with their heads in a bucket of sand had they been made to account to private shareholders rather than the Italian government over the past 10 years or so? Taxi to work indeed! How many uniforms per year? And all that money received by the top executive management as the company fell further into debt!
Judged by the rules of the game of life then Alitalia deserves all it gets for fat complacency but....for all the hard working individuals within the company who could not have influenced the final outcome I hope it can pull through and learn to stand alone. I certainly begrudge my taxpayers money being thrown down the drain for the prestige of Italy.
Why don`t we declare it a charity, it would perhaps be more honest!