PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Video Cameras on the flight Deck
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2004, 13:58
atse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To err is indeed human, but to really screw up ....

Thanks Mac the Knife. The choice of the operating theatre was only an effort to draw an analogy, not a suggestion that surgeons are more prone to error than other group of physicians, or pilots, or nuclear power plant engineers, or whomever. By virtue of being human we are all operating to the same general error rate ....

The paradox is, of course, that all forms of recording that permit us to reconstuct what happened are very useful, regardless of profession or workplace. (The bad jokes, comments about management, etc. are peripheral, if sometimes embarassing!).

The difference, I would posit, is that physicians are perhaps too defensive of their professional space while pilots are insufficiently so.

What is common to all is the need to use the information obtained in an appropriate manner. I am merely asserting that all the available evidence suggests that protections tend to be overcome (frequently for unanticipated reasons) and that what starts off as a constructive and well-intentioned contribution to safety becomes a nightmare for some practitioners in the following years. The New Zealand example I cited was but one such outcome. It was a nightmare and took serious international action to even get the attention of the government.

I was reacting to the innocence of some of he contributions, not the desireability of information in a perfect world. It's just that we don't live in a perfect world and you need to look after your interests.

In that particular regard, pilots manifestly have a lot to learn from physicians. All of which was really my original argument ...