PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is going on with the airline business?
Old 28th Aug 2004, 10:01
Fester T Adams

Lightbulb

The likes of MOL has put us back decades
In many ways that's true but for many years pax & I've no doubt aviation personnel saw him as a godsend. For years travelling by aircraft was seen as a luxury, priced exorbitantly out of the range of the average wage earning Joe Soap in the street. It was regarded as such a rarity & an occasion to fly people used to turn up in all thier Sunday best & finery for the occasion.

But MOL changed all that, he opened up aviation for the masses, suddenly almost anyone could whiz around Europe at the drop of a hat to see wonderful exotic places they'd only dreamt about or read the name on a map, visit relations or escape from relations whatever the case may be. He forced other airlines to drop their rip off over exorbitant prices & singlehandedly knocked the fallacy on the head that aviation should be exculsive & only be for the very lucky rich few. He saved an airline that was on its last struggling legs from going to the wall & created thousands of jobs, many in depressed regions. He shook up a badly needed to be shook up aviation industry.

Am I defending MOL, NO!

Even I can see he has overstepped the mark & that much of his present progress is done on the backs of his employees & to an extent pax with dubious management strategies which are no doubt having detrimental knock on affects right through other airlines in terms of employee rights, conditions & pay. He has done this so much so that the word has filtered down to his customers & some are deciding on ethical grounds not to fly with his airline. But without him Europeans would not have the cheap prices & freedom to travel that they have today.

All I'm saying is that your statement isn't entirely factual & there are two sides to the coin.