PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single European Sky is here, now comes the bill
Old 27th Aug 2004, 20:17
Whipping Boy's SATCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rustle, a couple of points. The CAA (I presume that is who you are implicating) has not dropped the ball. It is the Government who have signed-up to SES and the European Commission has tasked EUROCONTROL with drafting some of the Implementing Rules (Common Requirements, FUA, Interoperability, Airspace Design and Charging) that are already mandated, in EC law, in the Framework Document. Consequently the UK (ie CAA and DfT) has to go into bat against all of these draft rules in an attempt to influence them before they are signed-off, and made legislation under qualified majority voting, by the EC. You imply in another post that it is ironic that the CAA ask to aviation community for ideas and hint that this is somewhat a ludricous state of affairs. What would you prefer, a CAA that follows it's long-standing reputation and makes arbitrary, ill-informed decisions?

If you really wish to have a transparent understanding of the process the UK is being forced to follow, please PM me and I can arrange for you to have a face to face discussion with the very people who are trying to make sense of European legislation. I cannot promise all the answers you wish, but I can tell you that this will help you understand how the regulatory authorities are trying to fight the UK corner.

.....and before anyone starts, I am not a CAA man.

Last edited by Whipping Boy's SATCO; 27th Aug 2004 at 20:55.