PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boarding drunk passengers
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2004, 14:20
surely not

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hardly any pax arrive at check-in drunk! Unless they are connecting pax who have been plied with liquor on the inbound flight. I have met flights where the pax had been served so much alcohol they couldn't walk straight.

If a passenger arrives at c-in the worse for wear, if there is time they will be advised to go to a coffee outlet and drink plenty of coffee. The gate staff will be advised and whenever possible a Supervisor sent to the gate in case refusal of travel is considered necessary.

If they haven't given any cause for concern at c-in then the gate staff are in line to identify and deal with the pax. The referral to the CC and the Captain is not a cop out. Why refuse someone travel if the crew don't see the pax as being a problem? As I stated in my earlier post, unless there is a legally recognised way of measuring the alcohol level the issue will become one of personal perception, and that is a minefield when the customer complaint and claim for compensation comes in. Unless the passenger is roaring drunk, and the police are called, it gets very personal with the passenger using every angle to dispute the claim and get compensation.

I am not suggesting that drunks be allowed onto the aircraft, merely suggesting that refusal is not straight forward. I have known occassions when the gate staff have been surprised that the CC have allowed a pax on board when they have drawn their attention to the pax. The referral had simply been to get a second opinion to make the case stronger when the customer complaint came in.

Delayed flights are a problem all of their own. Most refreshment vouchers are for use in the food outlets only, but some airlines will make them available for all outlets. Fortunately the cost of drinks airside is so high they can't get too drunk on these vouchers