PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2004, 12:59
mazzy1026

Spicy Meatball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hour 10

This morning the weather looked completely cr*p - I drove to the airfield anyway and it was decided that we would do an hour in the training room, talking about the circuit. My instructor gave me an hour lesson on the circuit which was an excellent insight into the process. I really learned a lot today in this lesson, and coming towards the end I just couldnt wait to get up and flying - which is what we then did!

Preflighted the aircraft and got her started up ready to taxi, only to realise we had forgot the headsets - a quick jog back to the school.....

Today was a VERY windy day, we saw gusts up to 25kts and my instructor said that this is the worst you will see it, and wouldnt really fly in anything worse. We done 5 circuits, 4 left and one right due to traffic. It was awesome and it is suprising how quick they go, before you know it, after taking off you are preparing to land! The general procedure was take off, crab the aircraft to maintain runway line, get to 200ft, do various checks, trim aircraft. Once at 500ft, start the turn and then continue to ascend to 1000ft - again, ensuring sufficient crabbing technique to maintain correct line (we had to do quite a lot of crabbing today).

Once at a 1000ft and generally 45 degrees from the end of the runway, begint the base leg. A quick call to tower "[callsign] downwind". Then comes the traffic information and instructions, either number one or number 2, followed by the recommended guidelines for separation between larger aircraft. Then the BUMFFPICHLC (who can give me all of these? And who hasn't bought their checklist??) hahaha.

Onto base, again with a quick call and into the descent. Power to around 1700rpm, maintain nose up, slow down, one level of flap because of strong (very strong) x-wind and away we go to landing. Today I was making full use of the controls in order to put her down correctly, there was a hell of a crab in order to maintain centre line. My instructor pointed out that it was difficult for my first attempt at circuits, but from this lesson onwards, the conditions can only be better (or equal) and things will seem easier next time. I am completely satisfied with the way things went today and am glad that I have got some experience (although very little) of windy conditions, as like I have said a few times, this was one of my original fears. Bloody marvellous and cant wait for next lesson, as always!

SkySista - you are a legend!

Congrats to those who have just gone solo, I get nervous/excited just reading about it.

Safe flying,

Lee