PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single Engine ops - pc12
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2004, 08:51
poorwanderingwun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a topic that appears to polarise the pilot community...once sitting in one camp people appear reluctant to revise their opinions....for what it's worth I've been operating twin turbines for the past 14 yrs...in that time I've shut down one engine on 3 occasions due to fire warnings, lost all the oil from one engine while making a max weight IFR approach to minimums at Dublin with a full load of passengers (due to an oil return pipe connection coming adrift )... and had to shut down an engine due to a computer malfunction causing huge uncontrollable surges that threatened to get completely out of control.

There's no doubt that turbine engines themselves are hugely reliable... but the ancilliary equipment bolted to them..including propellor gearboxes... are a potential problem. Another factor not being considered is that of age.... single turbine aircraft are still relatively new....there's nothing to my knowledge flying around that's 30 years old...

As these aircraft pass into the hands of the less wealthy operators maintenance will inevitably be carried out to the legally required minimums....

It may be that in time a revision of the current rules will result in wider use of SE turbine aircraft but it's not something that should be entered into lightly...