PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Video Cameras on the flight Deck
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2004, 22:12
plt_aeroeng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't understand the strong reaction against cockpit video recorders. The CVR and digital data tell enough of the story that privacy can no longer be a concern.

Workplace privacy, whether in the cockpit or in a Dilbert cubicle, has been largely eliminated. Many corporations, for example, now monitor workers internet activity and even have the capability to watch users primary applications usage. The latter is done, in theory, to allow on-line support but could as well be used for snooping.

Rather than fight against cockpit video, which will be a losing argument, fight instead for responsible use and proper safeguarding of access to data. While we may all dislike the publication of CVR transcripts post events, it is a reality.

In any case, in my early days I found in discussion with colleagues that even in the era of no recorded data, some of our actions during stressful times were motivated by the refrain going through our heads "And the board found that ....". This refrain tended to be particularly loud when we had started out doing something stupid.

With regard to AA, I once was self loading cargo on an AA DC-10 going in to ORD. The view on the cabin screen was not of an approaching runway, but rather an infield. About 300' up, the scene slewed rapidly over to the runway for an uneventful landing. The captain, post landing, announced that he had been trying out the auto-land on a clear day so that he could monitor it well. (Don't know if that is true, or just an FO off his game). The real point, however, is that the picture showed only the edge of the PIC and FO shoulders, and no instruments. It might be of value in coordinating terrain path post event, but that's all.

Finally, you are surely all aware that most single seat fighters now are equipped with a HUD camera which reocrds HUD data and out of cockpit view. If the mega-ego fighter jocks can live with such a recording, surely a more rational airline crew can.