PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter aerodynamics CD Rom?
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2004, 20:35
gadgetguru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MPD

thanks that kind of narrows it down a bit form me...

i had been tinkering with the idea, particularly in regards to pre-flight briefings, watching instructors attempting to draw things Mr. Squiggle style & not having much luck, then having to explain a complex aspect, around a ordinary illustration. I mean they're pilots, not Picasso's. So i started my list

got into AGK & Aero & realised that i had stepped neck deep in it, the list grew

there are currently some excellent animations of four stroke cylce availabe lon the internet, but not all students have internet access, though they may have or at least have access to a computer.
There are a few additional things i woul like to animate in AGK, but there are things back in Met & even Human Perfromance that i'd love to play with eventually.

The crux of the problem is Aero, so much of it & it is quite difficult to understand some of the concepts when learning them initially & i often find myself having to read a section 4 times to get a grasp on it.
first time: Jesus H Christ - what was that about?
second time: OK - i think i know what he's getting at.
third time: the knee bone's connected to the hip bone....it's all starting to make sense
fourth time: Right - got it in full, no more "i think i know what he means"

I have found this in most (technically intense & unfamiliar content) things i have studied, i cannot simply read a text & take it all in, unlike some academic types, i am more of a hands on type of guy, i prefer to be able to read it, get an idea of what it is, then build it or manifest some sort of physical thing that i can then tinker with to really see what's going on.

I have been annoying the **** out of the engineers asking all the 'dumb' questions, & they have been very patient with me.

it is not viable to be able to build physical models of everything that you come across in CPL(H) theory, but to be able to visualse it... so i went down the track of 3d modelling & animation.

So now i am teaching myself how to use it, which is quite a painful process, given the fact that i am trying to complete my theory, learn 3D too, keep my better half & kids informed that i am still alive (when i venture out of the 'batcave' the study) & mantain my full time job (I.T.).

initially i am working on a basic circuits pattern.
once that's done i will work on Dissymmetry of lift, this will encompass quite a few smaller things i was going to attempt for Aero.

Once i complete them I'll find some manner of making them viewable to the PPrune community for feedback.
probably webhosted in flash format.

please be patient, & i'll try to 'make best speed'