PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single Engine ops - pc12
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2004, 17:51
haughtney1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

As they say you can make statistics do anything you want, however in this instance, check out the global accident statistics of caravans, and then look at how many of those accidents occured in IMC or on an IFR flightplan. I think you will be surprised to notice that the majority of accidents occured VFR in VMC.

There are however a very small proportion of accidents that have occured on IFR flightplans, however once again poor airmanship rather than technical or powerplant failures were the root cause in the vast majority of cases, just as you would find in most light piston twin accidents.

Its all there in the statistics.

Cheers

H

A slight amendment to my previous...when I said VFR in VMC...that was loose terminology, a large proportion of accidents have occured whilst under VFR when clearly the conditions where wholly unsuitable or marginal, and further to that point, this very reason (get-there-itus...commercial pressure...etc) was one the stand-out reasons that the FAA plus a host of clear thinking ICAO member states now allow SE IFR. The real problem has come in understanding the A/C limitations, understanding the operational environment, and as I said before....the role that airmanship takes in the causes of these accidents. I know I certainly wouldnt be flying below cloud base..or even in it..if freezing rain was about!

Cheers

H