PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - T-cas Descent
Thread: T-cas Descent
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2004, 15:56
West Coast

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
It comes down to definition. What you see as a nuisance I see as a potential threat. A simple failure to input a proper mode on the AP, an altitude entered in error and what you see as a nuisance now becomes a potential midair. Just because you properly called traffic and issued clearances that would separate us doesn't mean I or the other guy got it right. We are humans capable of error despite your best efforts. I am willing to accept the risk of flying surrounded by fallible humans because not every mistake, blown clearance means disaster. If however I am bore sighted from above or below and one of us screws the pooch it likely does make CNN and my wife gets a lot of money.

Jerricho
I'll speak to your last point and then leave it alone as it detracts from a potentially good thread. I feel safe saying every controller has had a run in with someone over time. I remember myself the controllers that have been a pain in the ass trying to fly the plane for me more than the ones that have provided excellent service. Just the way it is. If you believe that some greater degree of pilots are questioning you based on TCAS, then we will agree to disagree. You may find it unacceptable but you are going to go away before TCAS does so learn to accept it. Enough said. Now on to the valid questions you raise.

As to me using TCAS for level changes, etc.

If I am sitting at 33000 wanting 37000 and I see someone 12 o'clock and 20 miles at 35000 opposite direction I understand that to be a confliction. The azimuth is not as accurate as your radar but I can still discern somewhat accurately direction of flight. Especially so as the range narrows. If I am willing to accept a vector off course, I'll ask now, if not I'll simply wait or put a different level on request.

As to other uses.
I watch the TCAS as I approach lines of thunderstorms. As the range closes I watch the routes other aircraft are taking through the stuff. I can overlay the wx radar on top of the TCAS to get a fairly accurate picture of the route the test ship is taking. Depending on exact location, altitude, gains used and tilt a cell make look different to others than what I'm looking at. What I see as a marginal route may be seen as a preferred one by others. I use the TCAS to help determine this.

ATC assigned separation aside we still have wake turbulence encounters. I use the TCAS to determine altitude of the heavy ahead. Is he joining from above, is he already descending on the GS, etc. I have had a number of wake encounter in to LAX. Heavies coming from the North downwind often join from above. This requires monitoring by the succeeding crew to avoid his wake if they are on a straight in approach on GS. 5/6 miles may be your appropriate Sep (or whatever it is) that however does little if the guy is a thousand feet higher. If nothing else I can sit the flight attendants down to avoid injury if I suspect an encounter.

Going in to airports in high numbers of VFR, such as Santa Ana (SNA) Burbank (BUR) it is an invaluable tool. Not sure of your exact duties as written but down here controllers separate IFR from IFR, I guess it goes down from there to additional duties as able. BUR as an example has a routing that has us down in the weeds in GA territory for quite awhile. The controller is balls to the walls working IFR aircraft and often we don't receive traffic on VFR aircraft. I suppose this is a form of separation but not one thought of much by controllers. Hitting a VFR Cessna is going to hurt just as much as a much larger aircraft.

Maintaining spacing on visual approaches is another. Every aircraft and pilot is a bit different and minus a speed adjustment is going to fly the plane a bit different. I may be happy at 190 to the marker while the guy ahead throws the anchor out at 10 miles and slows to 150. I use a five mile display with range marks at 5 and 2 1/2 miles and I can determine if I am closing. Conversely I also have a limited ability to look behind me to determine if someone is crawling up my ass and can adjust my speed.

These are the obvious ones that come to mind, I'm sure there are other secondary and tertiary uses of the metal detector, fish finder of whatever you like to call it