PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2004, 12:35
deltamike02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c-bert, FingersR, & Hampshire Hog

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll need to believe my instructor when she's telling me "dont' land!". I have a couple of hours booked in just over a weeks time, lets see if I can master it then.

FingersR - As far as the diferences between the 152 & 172 go, I have flown a couple of hours in a 152 and the one thing that struck me for straight and level flight was the engine cowling on the 172 slopes down much more than the 152 which caused a bit of confusion as you could see much more of the horizon and took a bit of getting used to. The space is another factor. There's much more space than the 152 and being fairly tall this is an advantage. Whilst the club has a couple of 152s I am happy to pay the slightly higher hourly rate for this alone, coupled with the fact the 172 is more readily available for bookings when it suits you. The bigger engine gives a great rate of climb and the 172 is much more stable in the air being that bit heavier, however, I have been told this makes it a little bit harder to fly. Whether this is true or not but its a great excuse when you don't get those flares right!

I passed my air law exam a few weeks past and I am currently reading meteorlogy with a view to sitting that exam in a few weeks time. I think that human factors is the next one that my club recommends I do after this. Is it easy to follow and understand?