PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot arrested at Manchester (merged)
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2004, 09:33
bjcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
max_cont

Firstly I was a serving Police Officer. The Drink Driving limit in the UK is approx equal to 2.5 units of alcohol for the avarage person.

1 unit of alcohol = 1/2 pint of normal strength beer.

Therefore 2.5 units = 1.25 pints.

Most people are not drunk on that amount. And no one is suggesting they are. The shoe markers are back with you.

I have no idea when you were breathtested, and whether it was the old 'bag' type on the newer ESD. If it was the bag, there were unreliable and thats the reason why there arn't used anymore. If it was the ESD, then I might suggest that you may well have still been going up. The alcohol content in your body does not just happen it takes time to absorbed.

I would suggest therefore (and I couldn't care less if you trust me, its not my driving licence at risk) you re think your opinons.

To say you would have to be drunk the night before to still be over the limit the following day is again not true. I have breath tested myself the morning after a few drinks and I was still over. I certainly wasn't drunk the night before.

I am fully aware of the fact that unless you are a country that has a zero limit it doesn't affect you. I pointed it out to show that BAC is mesurable in quatities less than the UK flying limit. It may be it only increases the driving offence numbers, of course it maybe that it also makes everyone aware that they cannot drink and drive at all.

I have read very little about this particular case. I am aware the press make a fuss over this sort of thing and they don't retract in the event of someone being proven innocent. That however goes for every occupation they can sensationalise, not just pilots.