PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAC pilots threatened with sack...PART 2
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2004, 03:49
NAC Pilots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Dear all

We represent a significant amount of present staff at the mentioned company who do not want to resign and become contractors.

The AFAP is actively persuing on behalf of the pilot group a resolution to the current dispute. Latest news is that a draft EBA has been designed by AFAP, forwarded to the MD and we eagerly await him accepting the proposal.

Thank you to all the people who have supported us in our efforts - it has been overwhelming and not limited to Australia. We are fully aware that this issue is not specific to one company but could potentially affect all of GA. Believe it when we say that the 'majors' are aware of current events.

We welcome any support to discourage prospective 'contractors' signing up. The reasons for why we ask this are evident. Yes, a minority of ignorant and anxious (for lack of better words) current pilots have signed on as contractors. This is dissapointing but anticipated under the current environment and as a result they do get most of the flying.

We believe that we are doing the right thing.

I believe (in my personal capacity) you are not only doing the right thing, but also the lawful thing. Two parties (at least) are bound by the conditions of an Award - the employer and the employee. (Occasionally three parties in Federal Awards, where the relevent Union is also bound to the Award).

The "contract" is worthless and meaningless. In the absence of an AWA, only the Award prevails at law.

A claim for unpaid wages, together with an action for wrongful dismissal (should employment be terminated for not signing the "contract") should clear the air.

I am neither pro Union nor pro Award however I am totally committed to the concept of a fair days pay for a fair days work. The Award sets the minimum standard expected of both parties in order to achieve that expectation.

Woomera

Last edited by Woomera; 28th Aug 2004 at 23:56.