PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerobatics in a 407 (Incl. video)
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2004, 22:15
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rich,
thanks for the last post, very interesting!

You are certainly right about Frank R. and the R-22! (or R-44 for that matter...)

I still don't get it though, as according to the POH's nearly always limits are set, as to max bank and pitch attitudes.

Even if one would do a "offset loop" you are still way beyond any limits in the POH.

Just looked at the video of Dennis Kenyon, linked somewhere on PPRUNE. At some time it seems he just lets the tail fall away and kind of backflips the Schweizer-300. Seems rather smooth and fairly slow, but in no way is any pitch attitude of that maneuver approved in the POH.

You mentioned that one can get (at least in the USA) a special certification for the machine.
To get this, do I have to recertify the machine completetly again or would this be more like a demonstration of ability/agility with post exam in the shop to proof the machine can take it?

This would be a moot discussion, but my interest is in the possibility of getting some "advanced" training, if I ever can afford it!
I know, most will say, don't get in "the situation" in the first place, but I sure would love to have some experience to get out of it, IF it ever happens!

Just to make the point, most POH will prohibit backwards flight - though no mention of backwards hover....
Now I guess everyone got a demo from his instructor how to autorotate backwards or at least vertical. It is way outside the POH for the backwards part, but nevertheless a good lesson that any helicopter can do it without a problem...provided smooth control of the machine...!
Same for my Robinson Helicopter Safety Course. I got told and shown some rather amazing things about helicopters and Robinsons specifically, that you would not learn in a regular school, nor would you find it in the POH.
I was told there must (unfortunately) be some rather stringent limits published in the POH, to keep those " who shouldn't fly helicopters in the first place" alive - also those that don't have the concept of common sense...
So here we go and write the "rules" for them...limiting all of the rest too.

Still would like to engage in some "advanced" training!

3top

Hi all again,

request to those that are close to the chap who "started" this thread and/or the machine he used!

Please keep us posted what happens or happened to him and the 407! Would be very interesting!

Especially in light of the change of attitude in the aeronautical agencies:

If it is not prohibited it must be legal/allowed - versus - If it is not specifically allowed it must be prohibited!

Sounds like flying Rotorcraft (civilian anyway) goes the Airline route down the drain....all limits, all autopilot.

Before I catch fire from the "safety police" on this thread, I am not rolling the "Wild West Freedom" Drum, but if I am in the mountains with job, I can\'t just always stop, because the weather gets a little interesting.
Now my weatherlimits may be way below/above of someone elses, but if you make it law, that I can\'t fly above the limits of a fresh private ticket, I am out of business.
On the other hand if the private ticket just follows me straight into the mountains, he might get himself killed right there.

I don\'t believe that a more restrictive legal flying environment will prevent any stupid from dying.
What I would rather like to see is more on pressure "decisionmaking" - teaching and training. If you allow someone to fly in the first place, teach/train/show him how to make the right decision for his level of experience.

Not even starting on todays liability-burdened legal environment...

3top