PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boarding drunk passengers
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2004, 16:41
surely not

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is the culture of binge drinking which is making a mockery of the ANO. I completely understand what you are saying Earthmover, and I agree with it. You don't say whether you are charter or scheduled, and if scheduled whether the major Stag and Hen party destinations are on your network.
Long haul flights are less likely to have the problem compared with Mediterranean charters and Amsterdam and Dublin flights. Cheap tickets has meant the 'lets get p!ssed and have a larf' groups now think nothing of flying off for a weekend to get totally bladdered, starting in the bar at the airport.
I know of one instance where a group missed their flight because they were too busy drinking in the airport bar. They didn't understand what the problem was and didn't consider themselves to be drunk. There wasn't a breathalyser at the gate so it was the boarding staffs word against theirs. The pax letters of complaint to the airline had them sounding like they had never touched a drop in their lives and how wicked the boarding staff had been.
The paperwork and solicitors letters involved in this case were unbelievable. Fortunately the airline backed up the boarding staff and stood firm, and that is quite rare believe it or not.
Until gate staff are issued with breathalysers they are on very dodgy ground refusing someone unless they are falling over drunk.