PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - sept 6th course
Thread: sept 6th course
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2004, 14:45
5milesbaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
During the early stages it'll be more bookwork and less sims time while you are taught stuff like Aviation Law, Met, Altimetry, Telephony and phrases, aviation knowledge (ie airfield signs and lighting, aircraft recognition) and how to do your course. You'll probably get your own personal copy of the Air Traffic Bible (MATS Part 1 and 2) but whether this is a hard copy like we used to get or floppy disk we now get operationally I don't know. Each classroom is normally supplied with a hard copy of all the books for reference purposes.

The lessons take place in a classroom and handouts are normally offered for later reference. Most lessons can be quite informal, more of a discussion, so that you understand fully before applying it in the sims in various ways, but the informality all depends on who is giving the lesson, and how you act back (ie not disrupting the flow too much). The course has changed drastically since I did it, but would imagine the content still follows these guidelines.

I agree with hangten that dedication is certainly required. Its not easy by a long stretch, lots of home study to keep things fresh in your head, and then the arduous task of revising for your written and oral exams, the former needing the bible quoted verbatum. That said you need to get to know your course well so you all work as a team, very high on the priority list. Obviously the best way to do this is go out on the town, just don't overdo it too often

Good luck to you all, you never know I might end up training you on radar one day, then you will need luck
5mb