PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 Corner
Thread: R22 Corner
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2004, 13:00
RDRickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

kissmysquirrel,

I won't opine on the technical aspects of using carb heat all the time, but I wouldn't do that. First, it isn't in the POH. Second, check the Lycoming manual. Finally, talk with your mechanic and get their input... I bet you'll change your mind.

You can get carb icing if the degree difference between dew point and OAT is 20F/11C. Also, the OAT determines the appropriateness of carb heat. For very cold temperatures, you should NOT use carb heat at all! Keeping the temperature outside of the yellow arc means above and BELOW the yellow arc. At colder temperatures, any water vapor will crystalize and will not form icing within the carberator.

rotorcraig,

I keep my personal POH up to date via the RHC update service. I don't recall seeing anything about what you mentioned in the manual. These engines are NOT as prone to carb ice as you may think. Obviously, better safe than sorry (meaning follow POH at all times), but carb ice usually (note: usually) happens when there is visible moisture of some sort in the air.