PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Excel aborted t/off at MAH
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2004, 09:05
Old King Coal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Liter Peter w.r.t. your comment 'Of greater import might be the problem one might have at Menorca on the southerly runway if one decides late to try and stop. The cliff just beyond the runway end is particularly uninviting'

Come on mate, reading some of your other postings it would seem that you’re a professional aviator piloting large jet aircraft for Public Transport, so at some point you’ll have studied Performance ‘A’ and similarly you’ll possess a thorough understanding of what Perf ‘A’ both provides and limits you to upon a daily operational basis, i.e. as implied through, and courtesy of, your ‘Airfield Analysis’ ( e.g. the pages in your Ops Manual / Part C, which you consult prior to every departure ) which contain a tabulated equivalent of your Aircraft Flight Manual, with appropriate ( i.e. as required by Perf ‘A’ ) performance assessments and safety factors built-in ( i.e. net versus gross, climb gradients, max take-off weight that will allow a RTO to be initiated at or below V1 and bring the aircraft to a stop on the runway / stopway, etc ).

Needless to say, and as I’m sure you'll appreciate, 'if one decides late to try and stop' [sic] is total anathema.
Indeed, professional airline pilots are tested in the simulator ( every six months ) where part of that testing process includes a requirement for us to demonstrate that we will not attempt to stop when going faster than V1 - wherein this assumes that one knows what V1 is, and understands the how, why, wherefores and relevance of V1 to airfield performance data calculations – which you do, of course.

Accordingly – and regardless of whichever runway is in use – I fail to understand your comment about a cliff being at one end ( or not ) at MAH; wherein, w.r.t. professional aviation and conducting an RTO, just what has a cliff, or indeed a mountain, or a brick wall, or a terminal building, or etc..... being at any end of any runway got to do with the price of fish ?! It’s an irrelevance, one which is taken care of in the performance calculations; surely ?

( 2 Liter Peter, this is not aimed at you ) Imho, PPRuNe’s become overrun with people who seem to be neither professional pilots ( or even pilots at all ) and / or not professionally involved in aviation, but for whom it seems quite the case that they (strangely) seem to think themselves qualified to pass comments upon subjects which they plainly know little or nothing about – and then feel they have the right to ridicule the genuine professionals who point out their error(s).

Above edited for typos.

Last edited by Old King Coal; 25th Aug 2004 at 09:37.