PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boarding drunk passengers
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2004, 23:49
Earthmover

Humus Motor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boarding drunk passengers

A genuine question from the flight deck to despatchers and Gate staff: Can I ask what are your criteria for letting a drunk passenger on board an aircraft - or asking the Capt. if it is OK to carry a particular individual?

My reason for this enquiry is that I am more and more frequently told that a person is "pretty drunk, but not at all offensive - is very quiet, has given no trouble - should be no problem" etc. And I'm then reminded of the notice you sometimes see in bars regarding credit:- "Refusal often offends!" It seems to me that the criteria you're be working to, and the criteria I'm working to may be different. For sure, the UK law is very clear - " no person shall be intoxicated ..... etc etc" - but I don't want to just sit there and quote the Air Navigation Order at you. My concern is that you may be thinking, understandably, that if someone is "no trouble" then I'm being unreasonable in refusing travel, whereas my worry is that in the event of an emergency evacuation, your inoffensive drunk may be so 'out to lunch' that he falls over, blocks an aisle or an emergency exit or moves in the wrong direction altogether - and in so doing turns out to be an indirect killer.

I mention it because my steadfast refusal to carry drunks seems to elicit surprised - and sometimes annoyed - reactions, and I just wanted to air the topic and explain matters - it ain't to do with being a 'jobsworth' - it's entirely a flight safety matter.