PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Do You Fly From the Right Hand Seat?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2004, 23:33
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dominant handedness isn't really that much of an issue except for the historical reasons. Plank drivers, flying from the left seat, use their left hands on the wheel. The real issue is that the cockpit in a helicopter is set up in such a way that it's really impractical to fly with the left hand on the cyclic most of the time. The collective is on the left, and the orientation of the cyclic head is such that it's just not that easy to do it left-handed.

Dominant handedness isn\'t really that much of an issue except for the historical reasons. Plank drivers, flying from the left seat, use their left hands on the wheel. The real issue is that the cockpit in a helicopter is set up in such a way that it\'s really impractical to fly with the left hand on the cyclic most of the time. The collective is on the left, and the orientation of the cyclic head is such that it\'s just not that easy to do it left-handed.

BTW, I sit on the left side at least half the time, and I\'m almost always the PIC. Sometimes I just fill in as a cojo with a more senior captain. Our normal practice is to alternate seats on alternate days, so the captain may be on either side.