PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take off Brief
Thread: Take off Brief
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2004, 23:20
Charlie Zulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Buzz,

Well at MTOW on some light twins if you have an engine failure below a certain height then it is going to be mighty difficult to get everything cleaned up, engine feathered etc in order to get *any* climb performance out of a piston twin at Vysse before arriving at ground level anyway.

So I brief that if I have an engine failure below 300' then I'm going to treat it like a single engine and stick it into a field.

I don't want to get into the trap of being at blue line of Vyse, but still descending whilst waiting for the prop to feather etc, seeing power lines coming towards me, pulling back to get some zoom climb, seeing the ASI decreasing to Vmc and either having to power back on the good engine to regain control thus increasing my descent rate somewhat or loosing control and spiralling into the ground thus spoiling a good day out.

Basically it all boils down to never rely on a piston twin to get you out of trouble if an engine quits at the worst possible moment shortly after take-off... it probably won't, especially if you're at MTOW on a hot and high airfield.

Hope this helps.

All the best.

Charlie Zulu.

Scroggs,

You make a very good point there.

When I originally posted I was thinking on what I brief whilst flying over here from my local field, normally under VFR rules.

If, for example, I am over in the USA, using a SID (DP) to establish myself enroute out of an airport then I will brief that as well.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.