PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - News blamed for Ansett collapse
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2004, 13:41
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Let me be a little more detailed then. Wiz so that even the slower ones amongst us can follow.

Had ANSETT been more efficient with their scheduling, they could have rostered me for 60 hours a month and still have paid me $80k/year, which would have worked out at $102.56 per hour for 780 hours.
In the case of the post '89 pilots, the company put a cap of only 55 hours a month, after which they volunteered to pay EXTRA in overtime rates!

Using your figures, my overtime (at $102.56/hr) would have worked out at $6153.60 in 1 year - for the 60 hours o/t.
....whereas the company volunteered to pay you (using your figure of $126/hr) $15,120.00 - for 120 hours o/t!!

Now remember that I was on my 12th year increment - you were only on your 1st!
Compare apples with apples, Wiz - there was Absolutely no way in the world that a pre 1989 Ansett 1st year F/O was on anything remotely close to my salary - let alone that which they paid to new joiners such as yourself.

THAT is where the 2-3 times comes in.

The only input the AFAP had into the scheduling, was to basically see that the flying was reasonably evenly distributed across the flying rosters, that min. required rest, and max duty times were adhered to, and that "undesirable pairings" were avoided where possible for fatigue and Safety reasons.

Working now for a company where there is no such pilot input, I regularly see "favours" being done for some pilots by the scheduler, which can amount to large differences in remuneration between pilots - as much as USD3,000 per month!!

There is a lot to be said for a "bid system" wrt maintaining equity amongst the pilots.

You see, Wiz, in my world, people were willing to take their place in the queue and wait, and NOT follow "Scabs' Rules" where it's dog-eat-dog, and each man for himself...f#*k you pal!