PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unidentified Flying Objects over Melbourne ?
Old 24th Aug 2004, 13:37
Romeo Tango Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It COULD have been a JetStar flight. I hear they are unusual occurences still - a Jetstar aircraft actually FLYING

All seriousness, I see "lights" a fair bit recently, but, MOST are in the general direction of airports, or on approaches to. Like flying out of YBMC, I can usually see several orange red lights low down on the horizon of high intensity, apparently motionless, then moving rapidly - yes, they are aircraft on approach to 01 at YBBN, and the landing light is skipping through the smog and dust, and refracting through heat haze and other atmospherics.

Having said that, I am also a keen amateur astronomer, and spend MANY a cold night out with my telescope. In all 30 odd years of peering up, I can say I have seen 1 "sight" I could NOT explain - an object I initially accredited to a satellite, suddenly turned a full 180 degrees, tracked parallel to it's original course for a minute, then performed a RAPID 270 degree turn, and meandered off a while on that course, before coming back AGAIN, and proceeding along it's original course! The object was DEFINITELY at EXTREME altitude (if in the atmosphere at all!), and no noise whatsoever was encountered. It wasn't a very bright light at all, but my night vision was acute from the time I had been exposed.

Alien? Perhaps, who knows! I prefer to think it is one of the USA's little projects.