PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerobatics in a 407 (Incl. video)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2004, 19:34
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that's getting interesting!!

On one hand we have the "Never outside the manual"-crowd
on the other hand the "Making a living (...and seems legally) that way" gang!

Rich, not that I am on the way to take up Helo-acros, but it would still be interesting to find out, HOW someone gets an "Airshow Competency Card" or "Helicopter Aerobatics Authorization" or anything that authorizes one, to do it.

Next point: Obviously the SA 407 seems to be scrap in the eyes of Bell (unless they accept a total rebuild...).
I understand your 500 experience, as it was mostly for testing/display for a helicopter that was planned to be certified for acros.

BUT, how do Chris T. and all the others doing acros in R-22, F-28, S-300's get away with it? I doubt that Frank Robinson EVER would authorize a loop or roll, etc. Obviously these guys do it routinely and even if the insurance says no to hull insurance, I doubt they would be able to fly anywhere without liability.
Now as far as insurance goes, they "normally" say NO to anything outside the POH limitations. loops, backwards autos to the ground, etc. are definitely NOT in the Robinson R-22 POH!!

We heared a lot pro-con on the helo aerobatic topic and whatever ones view on it or at a particular show, I still would like to know how I can get around the POH and still perform legally on an airshow?
Never mind the SA-407 driver, who seems didn't have all the legal stuff sorted out up front.......bad move there!

3top