PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions about CAL...$30K bond true???
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2004, 09:26
International Trader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Despite what others will write after this, this is the the truth from someone who has been a passive and uneffected observer.
I do work there as a captain and I am an expatriate.
I believe that there are those who will try to talk the place up because they are having trouble getting people (guess who ?) and those that are angry about the way things are.
Neither group will change things at CAL, that is for sure.

I have heard ( only heard) that the bonds will be changed to Singapore type bank guarantees thanks to CPt Pow ( ex SIA).
This will cost you money even if you stick the contract out.

The new promotion criteria favours national pilots over expatriates, always.
The MIN time is 3 years after training and 150 landings at CAL to get into a command pool . Every time a local enters the pool, he will move ahead of you and all other expats.
On the log haul fleets you don't get many landings so, expect about 7 years to get 150 landings. Then it is in the pool.
There ARE guys here with more than 5 years and no command and that was before the new requirements.

They only pay you after you get checked out.
Forget english schools on an F/O salary unless you only have 1 child and you live cheaply.
The standard of living is definitely below western countries.
Legally your wife can work, once you get your ARC ( work permit)
Making inroads into the culture is fairly difficult. Unless your wife can find a foreign company who wants a foreigner, it will be tough.
Let's face it most companies will want someone who can do business within the culture,ie; speak, read and or write Chinese.
Speaking English and just a bit of Chinese, I find it tough doing just about any administrtive task. Even ordering in restaurants is tough. Local pay is quite low and they work long hours.

I would not even consider putting my family through this and I get a lot more money.
I hear that there are about 7 cruise captains and F/Os who are leaving at once because of the politics and not promotion. One said the other day that management told him to leave because it was their plan never to give promotions but use exapatriate F/Os to babysit the nationals.

I hear that there are new start ups in Singapore. A much better place to be that is for sure.