PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bail for Greek air rage passenger
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2004, 22:10
bjcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Av8boy

I am struggling my way through that, but it seems that you may not be 100% right. I accept your two soveriegns bit, but it seems that from what I have read (and from exprience)you may be slightly wrong.

I think (and this is from memory) the Chicargo convention allows new legislation in all countries that signed it to pass legislation giving juristiction over offences on aircraft registered in other countries subject to certain carveats.

In the UK this led to the Civil aviation amendments act.

One of those conditions being that they person can be charged with an offence in the country of first landing, provided there was a similar offence in the country of registration.

The first arrival being in the ROI, then it may be being charged there, (the first landing) that then relives the US of any juristiction

of course if you are right about it, then say a pilot arrested and convicted in the Uk for being unfit through drink or drugs to fly, could on arrival in the US be arrested by the Police there and convicted on exactly the same evidence. I doubt the US courts would see that in any other way than double jeapody and against the rules of natural justice.

Perhaps you could explain 'Long arm Statues' as that one's beyond me