PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Drug found in Pilots of Jet Crash"
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2004, 18:11
Skunkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NN I perfectly agree with u! I didn't mean anyone was pointing out pilots in this thread (at least it doesn't seem to me...) but I know what can do medias emphasisying on one point of a whole accident!
I've been flying 14 years while studying pharmacology and medicine in general that's why I'm so touched by this discussion.

To answer your other question... well I simply think it is WRONG! Unfortunately many people has not the same idea! there is a deep difference between flying on right seat as an instructor or flying as First Officer, but companies (in general, and nowadays always more) seem to look only at economic questions (until something happens....)
In 1993 I was on a plane that tried two landings on an island, wind was 45 knots gusts over 60 from left side, structure limit I think about 30 knots....Captain seated on left side was flying that a/c for the 2nd time and Captain on right seat ....well I think he was simply scared like dead of the other and luckily quite experienced, but first attempt to land he did F/O work and the result was a kind of kangaroo touch down and then go ahead. Second attempt (same conditions and same runway) was a 7 crash/touch then Captain/pilot took commands and plane crashed out of runway but no injuries...it was classified as heavy landing and never revealed to authorities as we had no passengers and I was the only witness......there's a lot to say about that day, but I always remember the fact that maybe a Captain and a Pilot would have acted in another way.

another fact that let me think is the Alitalia accident in zurich in 1992...the procedure of flying on QFE instead of QNH was changed then...an was changed also another thing: pilot could take commands immediately and in case explain later (possibly on ground...) and it was forbidden to try a landing in the same place after the 2nd go ahead...3 things that I think basic and it was only 12 years ago....

Skunkie