PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lighten our darkness, oh Lord! The lighting thread
Old 22nd Aug 2004, 04:52
av8boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the titanium got to do with anything
Yeah. It’s the magnesium that’s going to be problematic.

Never understood the logic of turning the lights off when all medical advice and practical thinking says it takes about 30 mins for the Mk 1 human eyeball to become fully dark adapted.
It’s not a switch that’s flipped at 30 minutes. Eyes adjust gradually. I'll take what I can get.

Only those few of us who can read, or insist on reading during landing, and yes maybe our less literate seatmates, will be vision-impaired if difficulties ensue. Perhaps we readers are in a diminishing and less-regarded minority.
How trite. I can read. I love to read. I'm highly educated. However, I never hesitate to declare a hiatus during the time just before takeoff and landing. I’ve never had to make use of my dark-adjusted retina during aircraft evac, but I’ve also never doubted the efficacy of this process. I’ll take any moral edge I can when it comes to getting out alive. Sometimes you’ve simply got to take advantage of the Darwin factor: survival of the dark-adjusted-est.

However, if the CAA/FAA was really determined to enforce this principle to enhance the safety of the passengers why then does it allow you to continue to read by means of your own nice bright individual reading light???????? Spoiling your own night vision and that of the poor bugger sat next to you???
What’s more, why do they allow pax to wear fabrics that will melt into the skin at the first sign of fire? Why do they not allow FAs to fine people on the spot for being up when the seat belt sign is on? In fact, why not mandate that seat belts be fastened at ALL times? Honestly, it would have saved lives…

Regulation in this area is not what it should be. That doesn't mean we should throw away what we've got. I apologize if I’ve offended anyone. I’m just really angry about lax cabin safety regulation.