PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS v Eurocontrol
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2004, 16:08
SamHanley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can only give you the details for the selection of trainees at Eurocontrol as I never applied to NATS. Aged 18 I was lucky enough to be accepted in Maastricht.

The process starts with an application form requiring the usual type of information along with answers to several essay type questions. Additionally you will have to provide copies of your educational certificates, pilots’ license if you have one and an opticians report.

Providing you pass this stage you will be invited to phase one of selection. This will take place at MUAC and lasts for the whole day. It consists of a battery of questions on mathematics, physics, English, perception, etc. all of which will be testing your long and short term memory including mental processes. However I think these days they are using a different program called FEAST, which is a kind of ATC strip simulation exercise.

To qualify for phase two of testing you will have to attain a suitable score in phase one of testing. This second phase lasts 2 days and again takes place at MUAC.

Day one involves several group exercises including flight planning, presentations and some decision making exercises. You will also have to describe a technical drawing so that another candidate can draw it, using only your description and vice versa.

Day two involves an interview with a member of the training section, an ATCO and a psychiatrist. This lasts for up to 2 hours. You will also be required to take a medical at the local aviation hospital which takes approximately 3 hours.

After all of this you will find out whether or not you have been successful in your application. You will receive a letter informing you that you have been placed on one of three lists, a definite, a reserve, or a non accepted list.

Do you know when is your testing is yet?

I can confirm that you will get you return journey paid for by Eurocontrol, at least that was the way it was done when I applied. I traveled from Humberside to Amsterdam to Maastricht return for both phases.

Sam.

p.s. If you need any more info just post it on here so that it can help out others in your situation. Best of luck!

Last edited by SamHanley; 22nd Aug 2004 at 20:46.