PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF & degree (or not?)
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2004, 13:21
mightyai24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joe- to my knowledge, yes, it does need to be an engineering degree for engineering! The in service degree- scheme is a very good scheme but will take a long time to get there. I'm 3 or so years out of IOT, and only just applying to take mine up. The OU website has a lot of good info about credit transference schemes for the various RAF training courses, but they do consider the relavance to the degree you consider. The learning credit scheme which is offered is good, but you won't be eligible for the enhanced learning credits for a while - the next registration date is in 2012. However, if you were doing OU off your own back in the RAF, you will get a discount, and standard learning credits will give you £175 a year. They will also pay for 2 week long residential courses a year, and treat the first one as duty so you don't need to take leave. Having said all that, as a thicky myself, and knowing that I'll spend this entire tour as an F/O, I'd say go to Uni as the pay is not that good until you get at teast 2 stripes on your shoulder! If you can, get as much info from the publications at the CIO, and if you have questions, call OASC directly, as you'll generally find you'll get better advice than in your avaerage CIO! Hope it all works out.