PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emerald latest??
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2004, 10:34
Phileas Fogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
Right, I'm going to 'butt out' after this post, yes, I've worked for Emerald in my time but nowadays this subject really has nothing to do with me. I have some fond memories and would like to see Emerald survive and prosper, I'm just trying to be constructive.

Dada, you say MOB is the know of the airline industry but not so. Emerald are a third division team, as you say, a tin pot stepping stone, but third division they are. Do you really think the big boys in the airline industry care or even know about Emerald or MOB? Many will have never heard of him, it's a totally different league out there!

Say again, I did refer to an airline the size of Emerald operating without accountants, it cannot realistically be done! Accepted, it doesn't make economic sense for a Budgie to cover a Shed but at least they managed to cover it in-house rather than sub-chartering out. Please take the time to calculate the cost of employing a Shed crew per annum to include salary, training, employers NI etc. etc. etc. They can afford to have a Budgie cover a Shed for numerous times each year before this would equate in a loss. Unfortunately, it will probably be only after it equates in a loss that something will be done about it!

I recall one night in the 'old days' when AJ came and spoke with me, he had previously looked at my CV and wanted some feedback from me. Well come on in AJ, have a cup of tea, pull up a chair! We chatted for what seemed like hours, it was constructive criticism time and he listened. Whilst such 'listening' opportunities might not exist in Emerald these days you can be sure that MOB and others are reading this, there is too much of people hiding behind handles, mouthing off 'this is ****e, that is bolloxs', this is your opportunity to post constructive critism and it being read by management. Don't talk about problems, talk about rectifications!

Whilst salaries might still be below the industry standard at Emerald they have improved somewhat significantly since the old days. OK, in LPL they don't need to pay the industry standard because the cost of living is so much cheaper there than perhaps down south, just compare the difference in the cost of a pint, unbelievable! But, by not paying the industry standard they're not going to attract all the right staff to make Emerald truly professional, they know that and seem quite content to remain in the third division rather than go for promotion and risk falling from grace (solvency) just as quickly.

Sure, they could go for salary increases, profit shares or even a better working environment but that ain't likely to happen whilst all the bad-mouthing continues on a site such as this. Try being constructive, grovel if need be, who cares if the end result is to be an improved working environment or an increase in your pay packet at the end of the month!

Last edited by Phileas Fogg; 21st Aug 2004 at 11:15.