PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Drug found in Pilots of Jet Crash"
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2004, 09:18
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think a lot of this is really down to education and training of pilots.

In the industry I am currently working in (the railways - due to no flying jobs!) much stress and education in the initial training was placed on the effect of drugs and alcohol on ones performance and also the company's drugs and alcohol screening. ie random checks and automatic screening in the event of incident or accident.

As has been intimated previously the culture we are living in is awash with drugs of some form with the mass programming in the "datasphere" encouraging people to take a "quick fix" whether with prescribed or non prescribed drugs rather than tackling the root causes.

Nothwithstanding that all accidents are a combination of many factors it would seem that the major cause of this accident was taking off with ice on the wings which is, I believe, a fairly basic airmanship matter as is ensuring that one is fit for flight in everyway.

My condolences to all concerned. We like to think that things are black and white but with experience you learn that it's all a load of grey and no criticism of the crew is intended by my remarks, the objective being that we all learn from past incidents/accidents.