PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should a 3.2cm long blunt tapestry needle be prohibited from the cabin?
Old 21st Aug 2004, 08:40
Boss Raptor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think it is time to name and shame the airline concerned...

The problem is particularly with the larger carriers the interpretation/implementation of security briefings/procedures/regulations by flight crew members can differ massively from the company's intent - and let's face it anyone (in the industry) who has tried to comprehend exactly what most of the (illconceived) drivel from TSA and Av. Maritime Security Agency in UK actually means - no one knows, not even them!

Frankly the 'needles might harm pax. or crew in turbulence' excuse yr wife was given is a little thin but clearly to my mind when the crew felt their first arguement was proved inadequate they invoked a 'catch all' safety type arguement/ruling - ok so lets take away all peoples pens, pencils as well etc. etc.

I recall that a company I have worked with recently banned metal knitting needles of all lengths post 9/11 fair enough - but allowed the big chunky plastic type ones - until I showed how my steel Parker pen and/or one of these chunky plastic knitting needles could be rammed through a one inch solid block of wood and certainly would penetrate flesh and anyone's skull if I so chose - illconceived and totally ineffectual - so we reviewed and revised the ruling with the authority who were very impressed with my demo although a little shocked when I/we demonstrated that almost every fitting and/or piece of equipment (particularly catering trays/boxes) in an aircraft cabin could be used as a weapon, you'd be amazed what you can do with a sharp shard of one of those catering trays, seriously! (and for those who dont think this should be discussed here as potentially terrorists might see blah blah - well I think terrorists have proved they do have brains and sussed this a long time ago...like the rest of us in the industry)

Would remind you of my recent posting re - my colleagues bad experience on AA where the obese F/A sat and crochet'd for most of the flight and the safety issue of that was questioned - clearly AA and TSA dont consider Crochet needles a risk/threat at least not if staff have them anyway

Last edited by Boss Raptor; 21st Aug 2004 at 08:51.