PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US threatens WTO action on Airbus
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2004, 02:58
ElectroVlasic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well fair enough, electrovlas, no-one is hinting that Boeing builds anything other than super machines military or civil -but the programme you mention was certainly helped along in a very big way by Uncle Sam. Indeed the B707 probably would not have happened without it. I could give a string of other examples -NA Sabreliner exec jet, derivative of the T39 military trainer. (I'm baffled why you bring Galileo into it since the US GPS system is almost 100% funded by the Dept of Defense -we just want our own one in case you decide to switch it off one morning.)
First of all, I didn't bring up Galileo - someone else did. Second, the issue you are evading is where the risk in a large airframe development project is being held. Boeing funded development of the Dash80 prototype out of its own funds, before it had orders for either KC-135 or B707. I'm led to believe Douglas did the same for DC-8, and it had no where near the same kind of defense business that Boeing had - this was long before the merger with McDonnell. Note I didn't pick the example of the funding of the B707, someone else did, and I'm trying to make sure the facts are injected into the discussion. But this issue is complex, and does exite passions that have been stimulated by other world events, and so things then to stray away from facts rather quickly.

--ev--