PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - News from Trumpton
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2004, 23:53
Mikeyd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QUOTE:

"How they have the front to even moan is beyond me. They are all behaving like hard done by school kids. There are 40 people waiting to fill each vacancy so I am told so sack the lot of them and give the job to someone who will relish it!!"

Well lets get the facts right. OK.

You say 40 people apply for each job advertised. Well the majority of these 40 are usually desperate for a job and assume that the Fire Service will accept anybody. The fact is that of these 40 only apox. 2 people are found to be suitable and are capable of passing the entry requirements. So that figure is pointless.

We have the front to moan because we have a genuine complaint and we are entitled to take industrial action by the freedome given us by the law of this land. The same freedome the forces swear an oath to protect. Unless you want to create a dictator state of course, but then we wil be invaded by the Yanks. Oh and then you can join in and fight against yourself...confusing eh.

Gotta try better than that.

QUOTE:

"We will have no say in the matter, we\'ll be manning the pumps. Why don\'t they do what the Yanks did with the "invincible" civil ATC and sack all those who go on strike. They can train some new people while the green Goddesses are out again. Also give our SACs fireman\'s pay while they\'re on call!"

So you agree with everything the Yanks do, but then that would be illegal wouldn\'t it?

As to getting firemans pay, yeah I\'ve no probem with that, just get your union to negotiate that. Oh I forget, you can\'t be in a union.

Yeah really good ideas there...

QUOTE:

"We returned to station and witnessed the green goddess going past the fire station on its way back to wherever it was based, but not without stopping to deliver a whole load of abuse to the firefighters.

The didn\'t utter a single word in reply."

So who was trying to cause trouble there?

QUOTE:

"My window cleaner is a fireman who has a nice 3-year old BMW, upon which he carries his ladders. If a strike happens, he will be told that his services are permanently binned - my neighbours will do likewise. Maybe a Nationwide campaign would have some effect? No day job - none of that nice extra dosh (wonder if they declare those activities to Mr Brown), and no need to sleep on the night shift."

So, some Firefighters work in their spare time. perfectly legal, many other people choose to earn extra money on their days off. Many teachers work as private tutors in their own time, I know of nurses who work similarly. Many bar staff and Taxi drivers jobs are done by people on their days off from their "real" jobs. Nothing wrong with that. Incidently if you think anyone is "fiddling" report them, that applies to everyone including cheap fags illegaly imported etc. Incidently Firefighters are allowed to do whatever they like in their OWN time. Is that sooo bad.

Last edited by Mikeyd; 21st Aug 2004 at 00:06.