PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transition Layer - Not Required
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2004, 15:05
Spodman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARGHHH! You wound me IFLY, but let me elucidate. My amendment was for ENR 1.7 2.1. As Hempy and others have pointed out this bit doesn't talk about what flight levels you can't use. There's Hempy's bit and the table at ENR 1.7 5 that explain that. It would make sense if it was all in one spot, but that is not the AIP way...

The levels you can't fly at with low QNH would still not be there. And when they have been applied there will still be at least 1,000FT between 10,000FT and the lowest available flight level, and 500FT between 10,500FT and the lowest available flight level.

When you are climbing you know what the lowest available flight level is because you have the QNH (or it's applicable stand-ins), so you change your altimeter setting at 11,000FT. On the way down you know what the lowest available flight level is because you have the QNH so you change your altimeter setting when you pass it. POP.

There is no point or reason that I can see for locking up 10,500FT as a level nobody can fly at.