PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - turbo vs super charging
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2004, 08:00
1McLay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also woth noting

A supercharger compresses the fuel/air mixture before it enters the cylinders where a turbocharger compresses only the air before it enters the cylinders.

The advantage of a super charger is there is no lag in the system i.e. if you need power it's there when you open the throttle where as with a turbo there is a slight lag while the turbine spools up to an efficient speed. Turbo's are usually run at a ratio of between 7:1 and 13:1 of engine speed.

The problem with charging is the rapid increase in temperature of the air can lead to high CHT, EGT and TIT which can invoke detonation which will wreck an engine in no time. i.e. usually high mixture settings are required to keep the temps down.

But it is very effective in turning a normally aspirated engine in to a high altitude performer!

Just out of interest I know of a TIO-540 that has an insatiable thrist for 140 litres of fuel an hour at full power! Hard case when an IO-540 does about 60-70L/hr at full power! No wonder the worlds oil supply is running out!

1M