PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A dream too far
Thread: A dream too far
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2004, 23:24
onthebuses

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blackshift,
I dont think www and scroggs are ganging up but, you do seem to have a bit of a class chip on the shoulder thing going on... Just an obs..

The only thing that is the same between Lorry drivers/Cab Drivers/Bus Drivers and Pilots is that they all seem to complain a lot.

I met quite a few pilots from all different backgrounds and airlines during my time driving buses at BA, and I don't think there were any two who had the same story to tell on how they became a pilot. They honestly came from all walks of life. True or not, www, scroggs??

Does it matter how you get there as long as you do.. Becoming a Pilot the self-funded way is a project not a career change. Raising the funds is only part of it. It's up to all of us wannabes to find our own way there, that's what the 'self' bit means.

PMA towards working is the only answer, whatever your background, maybe the driving/building/factory jobs do suck, I know mine does, but, if the office job pays 12k pa and you cant get flying, might be time to look where you can do better.

Everyone of us knows it's not on a plate even for the fortunate ones. I see the crap job pre and post ATPL as just part of the project. I think that I am lucky being able to drive both lorries and buses because I'll never be more than a few hours between unemployed and working. Also, look to the future. There you are, at the pointy end, doing the job of your dreams then bam, airline goes under, everyone's on the street to the Job Centre. With the 2-3 years LGV/PCV driving already under your belt, you'll be working within hours. It's a good safety net.

OTB

I'm just glad my 10 year old has no interest in being a Pilot, don't think I could take 2 goes round..

Last edited by onthebuses; 18th Aug 2004 at 23:43.