PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 9g or HMD?
Thread: 9g or HMD?
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2004, 20:00
MovinWings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tarnished, and Braveheart have interesting arguments, but I have flown in the past, all flavours! Ideally, you would have both, for just the reasons stated. But, given the choice, I would opt for the HMD solution for 2 reasons:

1. ID comes at very close range, althought a 9 g a/c can 'solve' that problem over time, a HMD linked to a latest generation Mx could do the 'Bizz', 'there and then'.

2. Every fighter pilot, with more than 200 hrs, knows that a turning engagement takes time, and it is rarely the opponent that you are fighting, that is the one that 'Shwacks' you.... so... avoid turning at all costs, at whatever 'g' value.

If you take one posters view of AIM 9x vs ASRAAM, well sadly it's probably a draw. 'Mutal ID Destruction'. At that point 4-6-9-12g or 'Thrust Vectoring' means nothing. (Harrier Mates please don't bother mentioning your 'Lose Control VIFF Manv!!)

Perhaps the prophets of the 60s and 70s who said 'The merge is dead' might well now be right, but late in their assessment.

Only my thoughts.........

Regards,

MW