PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sim versus Aircraft time for the IR
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2004, 17:13
carbonfibre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IR Taining

Biscuit,

I have no problems recommending the school i went to to complete my IR, it was PAT at Bournemouth.

My instructor was Drew, patient as a saint and gave me instruction without all the BS that some schools like to throw in.

I flew with all the instructors and they had a good idea of what the examiners wanted, this being the main part of the flying of course, being safe and ensuring that the outcome of any part of the flight was never in doubt. Sure i had my bad days, real bad days and some bloody good ones.

However i would give advice to anyone who is making this journey and i have learnt the hard way is to:

1. Visit the schools

2. Go on a ride with one of there students when they are being taught before you go to them.

3. Check the environment, do they suit you and you them

4. Do they have a reasonable reputation

5. If they offer discounts for upfront payment, i would personally discard them straight away. Nothing is cheap in the IR

6. Aircraft type and availability, are there enough, are they too difficult to get to grips with etc

7. Support staff

8. Check there flexibility to work with you, i.e. weekends, earlies, lates, splitting sim and plane, minimising your pain.

9. Check the small print, landing fees approach fees etc some places keep all the prices in there cost and it looks high where as others dont and you thihnk its a bargain.

And one last time, instruction is worth its weight in gold, there is no such thing as cheap with the IR.

Hope this helps and good luck with your flying