PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A strange but good question....
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2004, 13:34
swh

Eidolon

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Disco,

Please please don’t tell me your believing half this stuff...and this is a wind up…

Easiest simplest example I can give you....

Remember those little snow man things people bring back from cold places, which has those little white specks of plastic in it and a picture of a city in it, you shake it up, and you see the city in a snow storm.

Now with all the little pieces of plastic are resting on the base, or when you shake the thing up and them all flying about the little ornament, it will still weigh the same, try it at home.

If you move all the little pieces of plastic to one side, and put a scale on either side, record the reading from each scale, then shake it up and let the little pieces of plastic fall evenly across the base, record the reading from each scale, you will see a small change in the distribution of scale readings, which equates to a CofG change, but the total weight will not have changed.

Please remember when you measure your “weight”, you actually have a calibrated mass figure given to you, in g, kg, or t.

An aircraft is pretty well much a sealed environment, if it was not sealed, you could not maintain a pressure differential, sure your letting air out the outflow, but your also replacing it with fresh bleed, no nett change, constant pressure differential.

Yes the aircrafts weight (which is its mass*acceleration of gravity) does include the air in it, much like the oxy cylinder example I gave before.