PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester T1 Falling Apart
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2004, 20:59
Scottie Dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20-17

At last a post that seems to have some sense of rational to it!

Vuelo

I would not hold your breath for too long with regards to work starting on Pier B this winter!

Certainly the rain that we had on Monday evening was more than could be expected under normal circumstances, and I do not think that one can necessarily lay so much blame on the airport for the end result. Remember that Pier B and the whole of the departures, and most of the arrivals area of Terminal 1 dates back to 1962 when the building was initially constructed. Modernisation work has taken place, but there is still a lot of work that needs to be undertaken.

As I understand it, there are all sorts of rumours as to the next development that will take place at the airport. I think that all of the airport's employees - from ramp staff to operational managers - are probably of the same opinion, work needs to be done. The question has to be asked as to when the airport’s directors will decide that both remedial repairs and expansion plans must take place if Manchester is remain attractive to airlines and passengers.

Never has Manchester seen so much competition from neighbouring airports. The whole industry has changed over the last 10 years, Liverpool has enjoyed a long overdue growth spurt and now there is also Leeds and Doncaster.

I think I am correct in saying that there is a meeting next month of the board when plans will be discussed. Hopefully, as the Airport Group has just announced a 48pc increase in operating profits - no need for comments about Fat Cats, as I am trying to keep this thread on an even and non-antagonistical keel - the directors will now consider that the time has come to invest in one of their main assets, the facilities themselves.

We all have our wish lists for developments, and they have been aired in many earlier threads. However the one wish that we can hopefully agree on, is that some of the plans of those working at the airport on a day to day basis are listened to and brought to fruition.

Scottie Dog