PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabin Crew to search life-jackets prior to every departure
Old 17th Aug 2004, 14:43
Devils Advocate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

The Southend King - I concur, wherein what you say is what I was alluding too ( the name is 'Devils Advocate' after all. )

Needless to say, what we see on a daily basis is 'security' that's not a product of joined-up-thinking, just as it is not consistent throughout the EU and / or other parts of the world – as you say.

We've the farce that tweezers, nail clippers and the like, are disallowed (ex-UK), but wherein passengers can still procure and carry onboard duty-free flammable liquids housed in glass bottles, plus petrol & gas filled lighters to go with them. This is approved of at nearly all airports and at many airlines and where sometimes, in other countries and upon other airlines, you can purchase knives too.

We've the farce that the very expensive, supposedly bullet proof, flight deck door is housed in a non-bullet proof frame – go figure ?!

We've the farce that pilots sit in a flight deck, along with a very handy axe, and are entrusted with the priceless lives of the passengers, to say nothing of the value of the aeroplane, and yet they’re not trusted to take anything sharp through ‘security’.

We've the farce that Disclosure Scotland (DS) only works under UK legislation and has no jurisdiction to obtain criminal history information from other countries ( to say nothing of the fact that not all foreign countries have a system of recording criminal activity information ), just as they (DS) neither check religious or political leanings.
Indeed, one might suppose it quite likely that all of the 911 team would have passed DS - so long as they didn’t have a UK Criminal Record and were able to prove that they’d worked at, say, McDonald’s or some such, for the requisite amount of time to cover the employment history requirement.

It’s similarly a farce that many of the ‘crimes’, for which DS has caused people to have had their airside pass / livelihood suspended, are totally irrelevant to aviation security ( see here ).

As I wrote some time previously:
The most laughable bit is that these checks only apply to convictions which can be traced against you within the UK and / or subject to the UK Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.

Thus anything that one might have done beyond our shores is of no consequence, e.g.

I could be a paid up member of the IRA / ETA / AlQeda / etc
I could be wanted in, say, Bosnia or Sierra Leone, for gun running / rape / torture / extortion / murder / genocide
I could be the ring leader of a people & drug smuggling organization in Far East
I could be living off immoral earnings from a string of child prostitutes in India
Heck, I could even be a piano player in an Aberdeen whorehouse

....... and Disclosure Scotland would know diddlysquat about any of it !
Now we have the farce that our Cabin Crew have to search life-jackets because, as has been correctly said, a "loophole in Crew Security checks that needs closing with a signature to blame someone if it all goes wrong".

The whole thing is farcical !