PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating - which type, where, why pay etc?
Old 16th Aug 2004, 14:12
Flypuppy

Chieftan o'the Pudden Race

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FFF,

It was not so terribly long ago that many airlines would pay for an instrument rating.

You just need to look at the nomenclature:

Commercial Pilots Licence
Instrument Rating

Since there is no chance of getting a job without the IR it makes me wonder why there isnt simply a combined Commercial Instrument Pilots Licence - but I guess that might be too obvious.

I have written alot on this forum about the rights and wrongs (mainly about the wrongs )of paying for a type rating, even the MCC was supposed to be paid for by airlines as part of an introduction to the company, use of their SOPs and primer to transport operations, but another business managed to cynically turn that into a money spinner and it has now become a de facto requirement before you can even apply for jobs.

As for prostituting yourself as others may suggest i say go for it as if your desperate to fly and there is no other way then what choice do you have.
There is another option, it is called patience. We are not talking about going up to the local flying club and paying to go for a jolly in the latest whizz bang supper dooper PA28 Tubo Rectractible Wobbly prop supership. We are talking about businesses that are taking money from people who wish to be transported by aeroplane from Point A to Point B safely and comfortably.

Those passengers should be able to expect the highest levels of professionalism and safety from the crew of that aeroplane, if one (or both) of the flight deck crew are paying to work is that professional or safe? What are the legal implications of someone who is paying to fly the aircraft - are they then an employee or not? How does the hull insurance company view this - is the insurance still valid if non-employees are flying? Who is responsible if the paying member of flight crew breaks the aeroplane?

Maybe I am just getting old and cynical.

Last edited by Flypuppy; 16th Aug 2004 at 14:37.