PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cruise power - fuel for 3 hours minimum
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2004, 12:08
Head Turner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To you all who have replied:-

Sorry, I thought that I was being specific in my opening topic stating that the basic fuel load should give 3 Hours at CRUISE POWER at SEA LEVEL in ISA Conditions.

OK we don't always need that amount of fuel but we very often need that CAPACITY to carry that amount of fuel when longer flights are required.

For some of you I read into what you are saying and get the impression that you fill to capacity and then decide how many passengers or freight you can then carry.
Surely you should do your CG calculations based on the task and then add the maximum fuel allowing for weight and performance.

I appreciate that B206's have range exrenders and they need them to go any sensible distance.

Remember you designers that not all helicopters are flown in areas where there are abundant refuelling places. Get real and look to the tasks and not the shiny plush FBO's that you seem to habitate. For me helicopters are work tools to do a wonderful job of Door to Door and not airfield to airfield that's for planks.

So please helicopter designers of the future please put in tanks with capacity the pilot in command then has the choice of how much to put in dependant on the variety of factors that a particular task presents.