PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming an Instructor & related FI questions
Old 16th Aug 2004, 12:06
Rotorbee

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Yup, now it is getting interesting.
Acctualy I am never realy serious, life is to short.
But here it comes. I will try again to explain what I mean. But reading the replies, I am not realy good at it.

The 100h instructor who is to afraid to let go of the controls should never have passed the test anyway - or nowhere. You do not become a CFI only by flying some fixed number of hours. That would be completely the wrong way. You have to pass a few test after all.

The 10'000h pilot that teaches the first time, is not very good at teaching either. But that is what makes the difference. Beeing a good teacher is what counts. You can train for 10, 30 or 50 flight hours to become an instructor. Students will surprise you anyway. Therefore you need a good knowledge about the learning process. But that is normaly learned during ground school.

All I wanted to make clear is, that comparing required flight hours does not say much about the quality of an instructor course. I bet there are still corners in this world, which have higher required flight hours then the US, but ADM, CRM, fundamentals of instruction and risk management are not covered during those instructor courses, but are subjects which are required by the FAA. I believe, that those points are much more important then 50 hours more of flight time. And you need to compare the ground school, too.

I had my share of instructors that wanted to pass their experience on. Most of the time it scared the s*** out of me and one almost killed me and one almost wrecked the ship. I prefer the calm instructor, who goes by the book and shows me different techniques which are well accepted. But that is what you learn during any instructor course, or at least should learn.

By the way, the whole flight training did not change a lot since the WWII. Thanks to the way regulations are made, that will not change soon, but I believe we could train pilots in less hours to higher standards, just by changing the way of teaching.
Had a discussion once with Shawn Coyle about strategie of control. Very interesting. Much more than picking on US-CFI's because they have less hours
;-)))))

Oh FITS is a good source, too.

Now I'm off to the beach

Last edited by Rotorbee; 16th Aug 2004 at 12:28.