PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - bmi strike?
Thread: bmi strike?
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2004, 09:35
Lt. Pidgeon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Krzysztof has it about right.

ABZ were so suprised by the no vote they demand an immediate re-vote on the grounds that only 75% of the flight-deck bothered to vote and had the missing 25% voted for the deal the company would have won. s

After a bit of angst and gnashing of teeth the CC told them that the vote would stand unless there were enough changes to the offer to warrant a second ballot. A bit more to-ing and fro-ing and ABZ made just enough changes to fringe T&C's (the first improvement in at least 6 years, but regional T&C's are so monumently awful it didn't really amount to all that much) to legitimatley ask for a new ballot. Interestingly, tucked away in a dark corner of the deal was a rather dinky little divide and conquer rule slipped in to help sweeten the pill. If any other part of the bmi group settles for a pay rise greater than 1.5% then bmir will get the same settlement. I can only hope that it applies allround.

I think some people may have been so surprised at getting any consessions at all out of WH that in a sudden rush of blood to the head they voted in favour of the amended offer. The vote result was narrowly in favour 46-53, hardly a ringing endorsement of the offer, but it is just enough for "The Management" to say that democracy has spoken. (but I'm all for a re-vote on the grounds that at least 18% of the workforce didn't vote)

The 46ish percent that voted against feel as let-down and disappointed as any of you at baby or mainline.

Many of us that vote against did so not only because the offer was a master-class in urine extraction, but also that by doing so we would be showing a bit of the solidarity among pilot workforce within BMI group, it would seem others did't. However I hope given the strength of support for BALPA within the recent recognition ballot this is the last time we will be able to be split as bargaining group.

To all at manline and baby good luck with your negotiations, may you have more success than we in the provinces.

Best Wishes
Lt. Pidgeon