PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Massey Uni Ardmore campus closure?
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2004, 08:24
kwikenz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At least two of the "new generation" flying/theory/loan hybrids have a selection process involving face to face interviews

Pity is theres an awful lot more than 2 providers that have jumped on the loan bandwagon. Take Massey's biggest antagonist, Sattler... how happy is he now that NMIT are there to prop up his particular version of what a perfect pilot should be.

As for loans... the debate is well and truly brewing again. It would however seem this time though that Wellington os likely to tell us 2005 is going to be ... in about Nov2004! They have indcated a preference for your suggestion of cadetships and indsutry partnerships.

Sadly whilst it is an excellent idea, I would suggest Air New Zealand would be rather slow on the uptake given the cost. Hell, after so many years of getting a good enough product for free, why shold they pay I suppose? At least their is a growing relationship between Massey and ANZ now with various new initiatives... it may yield something.

For my 2 cents worth... for all Massey's failings, they are the only outfit who have the resources and know how to actively research and evlauate selection criteria. The problem is they have been reduced to competing with polytechs for essentially a GA product that is not Massey's core business!

I say shoot the polys and allow a very regulated number of Massey fixed wing and heli pilots to conduct high quality industry driven (Air New Zealand etc) undergrad qualification thorugh the loans scheme. Not enough to hurt the good old flying schools... hell make the content subject to the review of the flying schools if it would shut Sattler up.

This way its not just a rich mans game selection can actively be pursued and enforced.

Smooth skies